Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Shack Plans

Over the past few weeks I've been fighting to keep the UV rays and rain off the burl with tarps and straps, boards, a ladder, a stool, and anything else I can find. I've looked into those portable temporary carports, just tried to find any possible affordable way to get it protected.

Finally, I realized that the burl would have to be protected with a shack that suits it. A log structure, not plastic or vinyl.

That's when I remembered one of my visitors, Pete Murfitt. He told me he builds portable bandsaw mills, and would be setting up and sawing logs with his latest model. So, I gave him a call.

Pete thought a burl shack was a great idea and immediately offered to help me out. He said he has some joinery skills with logs and invited me to his mill site. I left his shop today excited that the burl shack is going to be built. Pete is not only skilled with joinery, he's a welder, a builder, a logger, a mill operator and a nice guy. He drafted up exactly what I had in mind, figured out how everything would be connected, and worked out a materials list in minutes.

The frame will be 14 feet X 14 feet, with a four sided hip roof. It's designed to dismantle and stay with the burl if I ever move it. The panels will be built with time, but for now at least the burl will have a roof, thanks to Pete.

No comments: